Thursday, November 29, 2018

The Sky's The Limit

By now, I'm sure it's no secret that running long distance, especially ultramarathons, has had a major impact on my life.  The elements of excitement and accomplishment that running has brought to my life have drastically altered the way I see things.  Since It took up the sport, everything has taken on a new meaning.  Not long after running my first marathon, and even more so after running my first ultra, I began to form these very real connections with running long distance and overcoming other obstacles that are thrown at me in my everyday life.  Making a relationship survive, thriving at work, and finishing an ultramarathon have one significant thing in common;  all require perseverance, strength, and determination.

For several years, I was convinced a marathon was the furthest distance I would ever run.  I learned about ultramarathons while reading memoirs by Dean Karnazes and Scott Jurek, but I didn't think I would ever have the mental strength and physical endurance to conquer one.  It wasn't until I moved to California that I realized my potential and pushed my running boundaries beyond a marathon.  Earlier today I was watching a video interview of Mick Mars, the guitarist of my favorite band, Motley Crue.  Not only is one of the most talented guitar players I've ever heard, but maintains a humble and laid back attitude towards his work.  In the interview he discussed his playing style, stating "It look many years for me to get to where I am now, but I'm not stopping there, of course".  It took many years for me to realize that I could run a distance beyond a marathon.  But once I completed my first 50K, I possessed the same sentiment as Mick does regarding his guitar playing;  I wasn't stopping there.  I have since run several distances longer than 50 kilometers.  At the end of the interview he said "I want to keep evolving, and keep that motivation going.  When you stop learning, you might as well just put your guitar down".  

Mick's words in that interview really spoke to me.  As that last sentence he spoke before they cut the interview rang in my head, the similarity between Mick's attitude towards his guitar playing and my attitude towards running was becoming increasing more powerful.  My mind began to form a connection between his everyday life and mine.  Since finishing my first 50K, I've run several longer and more challenging races, and I currently have my sights set on completing my first 100-mile race in 2019.  One of the things I really love about running is there truly is no limit.  You can always go further and run faster, and there are always new things to learn.  We are all teachers and students in this sport.  I've been running for almost ten years now and I'm still learning new things like how to fuel myself during a long race, how to maintain electrolyte levels,  good cross training techniques, etc.  As my running career continues, I will continue to go further and faster, and I look forward to continuing to push my boundaries and realize my potential.  Just like Mick, I want to keep evolving, and keep the motivation going.  When I stop learning and when I lose the motivation to continue pushing my boundaries, I might as well hang up my running shoes.  The sky's the limit!
  

2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring Liam. Great way to look at anything we do in life, keep evolving, keep learning, keep getting better. You're an amazing athlete its been a pleasure and honor to run beside you if only for a short distance. Thank you Liam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel this. It's amazing what your body can do when you test it's limits, even when you think (or have even been told) you're damaged goods. Thank you for introducing me to such inspirational runners (including yourself) I look forward to continuing our motivational conversations and also hopefully running with you soon again!

    ReplyDelete