Sunday, May 19, 2019

The True Definition of Health

What does it truly mean to be healthy?  Over the last several years I've asked myself this question repeatedly.  According to Google, the definition of the word "health" is "the state of being free from illness or injury".  Simple enough.  Growing up, many of us were taught that if you're not sick or suffering from any medical issues, you're healthy.  It seems that when most people think of being healthy, the first things that come to mind are nutrition and physical fitness.  This isn't necessarily incorrect.  After all, our heart rate, frequency of exercise, weight, and what we put into our bodies all play a crucial role in the quality of our physical health.  But just because someone eats well and is physically fit, does that automatically qualify them as being a healthy person?  What about all the people out there who are physically healthy but are also an emotional wreck?  Practicing a physically healthy lifestyle does improve happiness levels, but over the last several years I've discovered that there is a completely separate dimension of health that is largely overlooked and swept under the rug in favor of greater focus on physical health.       

Unfortunately, many people never discover the importance of mental health in their lives.  I'm one of the lucky ones, but my realization of the importance of mental health didn't happen overnight.  Even after my mother's death, life just carried on as usual after the grieving period.  I didn't seek therapy to cope with the tragedy or even turn to my closest friends for support.  I just held everything in and continued to drink, party, and live the typical college lifestyle.  My first realization that I wanted to be healthier was right after I had graduated from college.  I wanted to be healthier physically, so I began walking.  Every day after work I would grab my iPod and walk outside for an hour around my neighborhood.  That walking eventually evolved into running, and although I was becoming more fit, I soon discovered that these daily hour-long walks and runs were the mental therapy that I had been subconsciously seeking all along.  I loved having that hour every day to be outside, listen to music, reflect on things, and unwind.  As my physical and mental health improved as a result of my running, life took on a whole new meaning.  I was more enthusiastic, I treated people with more kindness and understanding, my personality became more laid back, and I began to take my goals and dreams more seriously.  But it wasn't until many years later in California that I began to take the issue of mental health more seriously.  I have never battled depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues myself, but I have experienced them first hand through the people I loved and were closest to me.  It took a series of devastating events to descend upon me before I finally chose to take the next step and seek professional therapy.  It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.  It may not seem like a lot, but spending fifty minutes every week talking to my therapist, saying out loud what is on my mind, hearing her point of view, and receiving her guidance has played a tremendous role in my quest for self improvement.  Looking back, I know I wouldn't have come along as far as I have without her.   

How do people practice being mentally healthy?  As far as I'm concerned, there is no right or wrong answer, but my answer is they do what makes them happy.  Simple as that.  We all have to work and support ourselves and our families, but for me, having a passion, something that makes you happy is the most important aspect of mental health.  If you work full time but you have a passion for painting, make time on the weekends or outside of work to paint.  If you love cooking, cook your favorite meals on the weekends or during the week if you have time.  I've met countless people over the years who have a career as well as a passion that they practice outside of work.  In my experience, those are the people who are the happiest and most mentally healthy.  To me, having a passion and sticking with it is the best way to keep your mental health thriving.  So what do I do to keep myself mentally healthy during my free time?  I go outside.  I've loved the outdoors ever since I was a kid.  I grew up spending hours outside riding my bike, doing snow sports, sailing on the water, and playing baseball and tennis, all while enjoying myself in the process.  In additional to my love for outdoor recreation, running in nature remains my biggest passion.  I enjoy going on long runs and pushing myself, but there is much more to trail running than being physically fit.  Spending hours outside engaging all of my senses, taking in the magic of the natural world, and reveling in the sense of accomplishment has done wonders for my mental health.  It helps me focus at work, see things from other people's point of view, and maintain my emotional stability.  In many instances, I reflect on my childhood and all of the time I spent outdoors during these runs.  In an effort to inspire others to realize their passion, I often post photos of my adventures on social media.  I'm not advocating that everyone should spend hours running in nature on the weekends and all of the world's mental health issues will cease to exist.  I'm simply expressing my passion for the outdoors with the goal of inspiring others to find their passion and stick with it because that alone will make you more mentally healthy.  

So again, what does it truly mean to be healthy?  Here's my answer:  Being healthy means taking care of yourself mentally and physically.  Being healthy is being physically fit and being mindful of what you put into your body.  Being healthy is being happy with yourself and not being jealous of other people's success.  Being healthy is talking about your problems and concerns.  And lastly and most importantly, being healthy is doing what makes you happy.  It's having a passion and making that passion a key component of your lifestyle.  My family and friends mean the world to me, but when I look at myself, my health is always my number one priority.  I love life and I value it for what it is, and I'm damn sure going keep it going as long as possible by taking care of myself mentally and physically!     


No comments:

Post a Comment