Sunday, August 25, 2019

Chase The Passion


"I'm into creativity.  That's why I write books, that's why I do photography, that's why I write songs, that's why I do everything.  It's about being creative.  You have to chase the passion".

My creative side is often expressed through my writing and the races I run.  Running is my main passion and I am equally passionate about telling stories.  Writing this blog has allowed me to be creative by capturing the magic and authenticity of running, wild adventures, and life and putting it into words.  The way I see it, people can practice their passions all day long, but if they don't get creative once in a while, things can eventually grow dull and mundane, even if it's something they love.  That's why people who are passionate about cooking don't cook the same thing over and over again.  And why people who love painting don't paint the same picture over and over again.  Running ultras is no exception; I have to keep things interesting.  In 2020, I will be participating in a different kind of ultramarathon: The St. Croix Winter Ultra.  More details to follow in the race report, but for a quick overview, the race is run on a trail in rural Minnesota in the middle of January, through the night.  Runners are required to carry winter survival gear, and the temperature could drop to as cold as fifteen degrees below zero.  Needless to say, I've never done a race like this before, but it's all about being creative and keeping things interesting.  That's how I chase my passion.

Nikki continues to elaborate more on what kept his successful music career thriving for the last thirty-six years by explaining:

"You have to jump off the cliff.  You have to take a chance. Yeah, there's rocks below you, yeah, it's scary, but that's the joy."

If I didn't do exactly what Nikki said, I would have never advanced as a runner.  If I didn't "jump off the cliff" as he put it, I would never have been able move froward from running a 5K to completing a 100-miler.  I've taken several risks as a runner over the last ten years, but that doesn't mean I've been successful every time.  I've had my share of failures along the way, most notably when I attempted my first 100K.  The furthest I had run up to that point was a 50K eight months prior.  I was under trained and unprepared, and was forced to drop out at mile forty-eight due to not reaching the aid station by the official cut off time.  It wasn't fun, but it sure taught me a lot of lessons that set me up for success later on.

Nikki goes on to talk about his turbulent childhood living with his grandparents in rural New Mexico and on farms in Idaho.  As he endured more hardships with age, he said to himself:

"Life can't only be this"

To cope with the chaos in his life at a young age, he began writing journals, became a fan of rock music, and eventually learned to play guitar.  When I graduated from college, I shared a similar sentiment.  I was in a good place and I had a job, but I said to myself "is this it?  Is this how the rest of my life is going to be?  Am I going to wake up, go to work, come home, sit around, and go to bed, and spend my weekends sitting on my ass watching TV? There has to be more to life than that".  I wanted more excitement in my life, but I didn't know how to make things more interesting.  I responded by going for walks after work everyday.  After dinner I would grab my iPod and spend an hour walking around my neighborhood, listening to music, reflecting on things, and unwinding.  It was a good way to get some cardio in, but soon I grew bored with walking and it transitioned into running within a few months.

When asked about his early days in Los Angeles and the formation of Motley Crue, Nikki explains:

"I wanted more Sabbath, I wanted more Pistols, and more aggression. I was angry and I felt rejected at that time.  And my answer was Motley Crue"

He was referring to the music scene at the time in Los Angeles, which was the big heyday for new wave.  Hard rock was up and coming, but still largely confined to the underground scene.  Nikki was inspired by Black Sabbath and the Sex Pistols and formed Motley Crue to bring the excitement and energy of hard rock and punk rock to a wider audience.  As a kid growing up in Michigan, most kids around me played football and basketball.  Those were the sports to play if you were a kid in the Midwest and it was bred into kids by their parents.  I've never had any interest in playing football and I enjoyed playing basketball to a degree, but I was unsatisfied with the lack of fulfillment it brought to my life.  I wanted to have more fun and I wanted more excitement.  Running back and forth on a basketball court never gave me the thrill I was seeking.  My answer was I rode my bike a lot, played little league baseball, played tennis, skied, and snowboarded.  I loved being outdoors.  Getting into running as an adult was another way of adding more excitement to my otherwise ordinary life.

Nikki then goes into detail of some of the lyrics he wrote for Motley Crue's songs and goes on to say

"My intent as a lyricist was to take stories and bring them up to the surface so everyone could celebrate them"

My intent in writing this blog is to take my stories and my reality and put it all out in the open so people can maybe read it and become inspired to follow their more passions more seriously, whatever they may be.

At one point, the discussion shifts towards Motley Crue's decision to no longer tour after thirty-four years of performing in clubs and arenas.

"I like integrity.  I'd rather go out on my feet than my knees"

Nikki further explains that he and the other band members would rather end on a positive note after a long tour of sold out shows in arenas than touring for another ten to fifteen years and being reduced to "playing at the rib joint down the street" or as guitarist Mick Mars put it in a separate interview, "playing in front of twelve people in a dive bar".  When I ran my first hundred miler, I took it easy.  I took my time and I was cautious, perhaps a little too cautious.  I was probably capable of pushing harder, but when I finished, although I was a hot mess, I wasn't completely destroyed.  I would rather finish an ultramarathon feeling strong and energetic than push too hard and cross the finish line puking, collapsing, and having to be carried away by the medical staff, all for the sake of finishing thirty minutes faster.

"I take care of myself, and I eat good.  And I try to take care of my body"

At the time of the interview, Nikki was fifty-seven years old, and had survived unimaginable amounts of debauchery throughout the 1980's, including two heroin overdoses, and sporadically struggled to stay sober throughout the 1990's.  Despite his history with alcoholism and drug addiction, doctors have maintained that he is "like a twenty-six year old" in terms of the quality of his health.  Running has allowed me to develop and maintain great cardiovascular health and, like Nikki, I also eat as healthy as I can, and I try to take care of my body as much as possible.  I view life as a gift and I want to make it last.

As he continues to discuss the decades of life in Motley Crue and his side projects, Nikki touches on things he's learned over the years and mentions something that especially caught my attention:

"Your ego is not your amigo"

I learned this lesson the hard way at the Canyons 100K in April 2019.  I was feeling strong, but acted recklessly, and the heat forced me out of the race at mile forty-eight.  I have always tried very hard to not let my ego get the better of me in running, even if it's a short distance, but since that day, I believe now more than ever, to never take success for granted.  Green Day sings in the chorus of their song Nice Guys Finish Last "don't pat yourself on the back, you might break your spine".  The race isn't over until it's over.  I learned that day to always act responsibly and to never get ahead of myself until I have crossed the finish line.

As the interview comes to a close, Nikki is asked what advice he would give to young people trying to have a career in the music business.  He advises young aspiring musicians to listen to and copy great songwriters and personalize it by putting their heart and soul into the music.

"I copied my heroes, I made it original, and I injected something personal into it"

That's exactly what I do when I write this blog.  I have read several memoirs written by ultramarathon runners, musicians, business professionals, etc.  My goal when I write these posts is to put my stories out there for people to see with the hopes that they will read them, and take their passions and dreams more seriously as a result.  My inspiration draws from a large number of sources.  In writing these posts, I've copied the style and works of those who have written my favorite books, I've put my own twist on it, and I've made it more personal by injecting my stories, experiences, and adventures into my writing.




 












No comments:

Post a Comment