Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Seed of Excitement and Adventure

“Wow that’s a lot of kids!” my wife said as I showed her photos of the 5-K race that Brady and I had participated in earlier that morning.  A friend of mine from a local hiking group was an avid supporter of bringing sexually exploited women and children to justice and had signed up for a 5-K to support the cause, recruiting others within the group to join.  Not only was it a great cause, but I viewed it as a great opportunity to run with some old friends and meet some new people.

The race was held in Glendora, about forty minutes east of our apartment in the Palms neighborhood of Los Angeles.  I leashed up Brady, grabbed my Vibrams, and a cup of coffee and hit the road.  Janet would have joined us but she wanted to focus on her CPA studies so we could kick back together later that day.  Upon arriving, we rendezvoused with our friends, took some pictures, and caught up.  One of our runners, Denis, had brought along his son, Michael.  This was going to be Michael’s second 5-K.  “How old are you, buddy?” I asked as Denis introduced him to us.  “Ten” he answered quietly, smiling.  He had an athletic build, was tall for his age, and bore a strong resemblance to his Dad.  “And you’re running your second 5-K?  That’s awesome!” I liked this kid already.  The average ten-year-old would dread waking up early on a weekend morning and running a 5-K race but here he was doing it for a second time.  One of the race directors held up a megaphone.  “Two minutes until race start!” he announced from the stage.  We made our way to the start line and began when the gun went off at 8:00 AM.  Our group disbursed, the faster runners charging ahead, the slower ones staying behind.  Brady and I hung in the back and jogged along the street up a gradual incline facing the San Gabriel Mountains.  Confused by the presence of the large crowd and commotion, Brady didn’t know what to make of the situation at first, but he soon began to hop along with his tongue out, basking in the experience.  At the one mile mark we came up behind Denis and Michael.  They were moving at a modest pace and Michael looked determined and focused.  “You go, guys!” I shouted as we jogged by.  Denis was an avid outdoorsman and had participated in numerous running events, climbed several mountains, and hiked several trails in and around California.  It was clear that his passion and drive was having an impact on Michael.   

My Dad never ran with me as a kid.  He appreciated the strength, grit, and determination that one must possess to run long distance but it wasn’t something he was into himself.  Neither one of my parents were runners but they both had a zest for life and living.  They weren’t the kind of parents who would sit my sister and I down in front of the TV on the weekends or shower us with unnecessary gifts so that we would leave them alone.  My Dad taught me how to ride a bike, played catch with me, played tennis with me, and got the two of us involved in Indian Guides, a YMCA program that consisted of year-round weekend group outdoor activities and camping trips with other fathers and sons around my age.  My parents also owned a small sail boat, taking my sister and I sailing almost every weekend during the summer.  My mom would also take us on camping trips and would often accompany my friends and I on overnight snowboarding trips.  I had learned to ski from a family friend of ours in my early teens and crossed over to snowboarding a couple of years after.  When I encountered setbacks and challenges as young kid, my parents constantly encouraged me to not dwell on the problem, but solve it.  “Shake it off” my Dad would always say and “Think positive, not negative” my Mom would tell me. I Live by these life lessons, and to this day, it is the best advice I have ever gotten from anyone in my life.  Every summer my Dad would go on an overnight sailing trip with his friends from Lake St. Clair near Detroit up through the St. Clair River, continuing into Lake Huron all the way up to the town of Presque Isle, Michigan for a boat delivery.  That weekend every summer, my dad would pack his bags and sailing equipment leaving me intrigued and curious.  When I was thirteen, he invited me to join.  I was thrilled and had an absolute blast!  I loved exploring areas of the lake I hadn’t seen before and sailing up the river through Lake Huron.  This was uncharted territory for me and it forever changed my attitude towards sailing.  We were on the water together all day and all night enjoying the peaceful surroundings.  I relished the experience so much that I joined my Dad and his friends on these trips every summer after that until I moved to California in my mid-twenties.  My favorite part of the trip was sailing at night.  We were in the middle of the lake and the sky was often filled with shining stars.  My dad and I would sit outside and have meaningful conversations, tell dirty jokes, and talk about “guy stuff” while enjoying the starlit sky, the lake calm and still except for the occasional passing freighter.  We would often catch the sun rise together in the morning.  Seeing the sun firing vivid light across the lake was a gorgeous sight and reminded me how awesome life was.  Before long, the sun would make its way into the sky, the other guys would wake up and we would enjoy the rest of the day out on the lake.

Whenever I have a big race, event, hike, or snowboarding trip coming up, I find my mind consumed with excitement during the days leading up to such events, looking forward to nights under stars and days under the sun.   This is the same feeling of excitement I had as a kid during the days leading up to the summer sailing trips with my Dad, the weekend camping trips with the Indian Guides, and the snowboard trips we took in Northern Michigan.  My parents planted a seed in my mind as a kid, watered that seed, and steadily it grew into a strong appetite for excitement and adventure that lives with me today.  

We crested the hill, running past some volunteers handing out water and made our way down a gradual decline back towards the park where the race started.  Along the course I saw several more kids that were out running with their parents and family members.  This inspired me, knowing that a seed was being planted in these kids minds by their parents just like my parents had done for me.  I had encountered similar situations during hikes and other races.  One time when I was hiking in Yosemite, we were at the end of the trail about to begin the climb up Half Dome when a father and his two sons came up behind us.  Chatting with them, we found out that his sons were fourteen and eleven and it was their second time doing this monster hike!  In the six years that I’ve ran the L.A. Marathon, I’ve seen thousands of students of all ages running the race, some for the first time, others for the second or third time, all of them displaying tremendous physical and mental strength to reach the finish line.  It’s evident that someone in these kid’s lives, whether it was their parents, mentors, family members, or whoever had planted the adventure and excitement seed in their minds and it was taking root. 

Brady and I soon crossed the finish line and met up with our friends, high fiving and congratulating each other on finishing.  We stood on the side of the street waiting for the last runners in our group when a girl who looked to be about eight appeared before us panting, drenched in sweat, bottle of water in hand.  “Congratulations!  You look awesome” we said to her.  “Thanks!  I’m going to go wait for my mom now”.  “You beat your mom to the finish line?!” Taking a drink of water and catching her breath, she smiled and said “yep!” and ran off.  Denis and Michael had just crossed the finish line moments earlier and Michael was now collecting his second 5-K finisher medal.  We all asked him how he felt and he stood there smiling, medal around his neck, looking like 100% pure energy.  “You’re going to be running marathons before you know it!” I said.

It was a great race and very inspiring to see so many kids out there running with their families and getting involved.  These kids, from my perspective, are much more vibrant and full of life than kids who stay inside all day and watch TV or play video games.  As they get older, those qualities will only strengthen with age.  When I become a father, I will simply set the best example I can, hoping that the seed of adventure and excitement will take root in my kids’ minds.  Because once that seed takes root, there’s no limit to how much it can grow if it is watered properly!   


No comments:

Post a Comment