Sunday, June 4, 2017

My Eternal Running Partners

The sun shined brightly, the sky was blue, and the colors of the trees and plants were vibrant as I ran down the winding trail.  I began earlier that morning at the Sam Merrill trailhead in Altadena, ran up the trail towards Echo Mountain, proceeded through Castle Canyon, stopped at Inspiration Point for a quick break, and was now on the return trip back down to Lake Street.  It was a beautiful Saturday morning in the San Gabriel Foothills.    

These weekend morning trail runs have become the norm for me.  There is nothing more exciting than waking up before dawn and embarking on a trail running adventure through the hills.  Due to my hectic schedule, my weekday mornings consist of running along the bike path on Exposition or on the trail at the Baldwin Hills Scenic overlook before taking a shower and heading to work.  While these routes are not particularly long in distance, they are enough to provide a daily dose of adventure and leave me feeling accomplished, energized, and relaxed, ready to start my workday. 
My music choice for today’s run was Motley Crue, my favorite band and the soundtrack to all my adventures.  The song “Without You” began playing as I came around a corner in the trail.  Although a love song and power ballad, it often triggers thoughts of influential people in my life that have since passed away, especially my mother, who died 11 years ago.  It’s a great song but I often skip over it while running, preferring to run to songs with a faster tempo.  But this time I decided to just listen and let the thoughts trickle in. 

On Christmas Eve 2015, Janet and I brought home Bear.  A four pound, three-month-old Pomeranian, he was the newest addition to our family and our first dog.  From the very beginning he was energetic, playful and loyal and we instantly fell in love with him.  Over the course of the next year and three months, we took him on several adventures including Mexico, Sequoia National Park, Whitney Portal, Big Bear, Death Valley, Mammoth, Malibu and several others.  He also ran, hiked and kayaked with us enjoying every minute of all of it.  He was the perfect pooch and brought so much happiness to our lives.  Then one Friday night, I laid down to go to bed after what had been one of the worst days of my life.  Earlier that day Bear had gotten loose and was hit by a car and killed.  It was two days before our wedding.  The blow to my wife and I was huge and beyond brutal.  We were completely devastated.  One moment, he was a healthy, happy, vibrant young dog the next, he was gone.  It happened so fast.  The rest of that day was spent mourning and comforting each other as best as we could.  Fortunately, we were able to put our grieving aside for a couple of days and enjoy our wedding and the festivities with all of our friends and family.  The wedding was fantastic and the happiest day of our lives but it soon ended, our guests returned to their respective hometowns and Janet and I were again alone, reverting back into a state of despair.  It felt as though our family was ruined and we would never be happy again.  As time went by, things got easier and eventually the feelings of sadness and anger began to dissipate and I adopted a new mentality; even though Bear was physically gone, he was still with us in spirit all day, every day.  Now he could watch over us with my mom and take care of us just like we took care of him.  It was a comforting feeling and we realized that life goes on.  We soon brought home our second dog, Brady, a three-month-old Pomeranian mix.  While no two dogs are exactly the same, the similarities between him and Bear were undeniable.  With another energetic puppy running around, a sense of joy and happiness was restored in our household and our relationship with Brady has since flourished.  As much as I love Brady, I still think about Bear all the time.  Whether it’s laughing about his silly quirks or reminiscing on a trip we took, not a day goes by where he doesn’t enter my thoughts.  He was the original pooch and no dog will every truly replace him. 

Many things, most often a song I’m listening to, can trigger thoughts of Bear, my mother and other deceased family members and friends while I’m running alone.  This particular instance mostly brought on memories of Bear due to his recent passing. I began to smile.  “Run with me Bear!” I said out loud “Run with me!”.  Of course, he wasn’t physically there but his spiritual presence was steadfast.  My mind wandered and I began thinking of other people, most notably my Mom.  Her spiritual presence was also felt and I knew she was giving me a push to help me run faster and stronger.  These feelings carried me pleasantly as the song played on.  By the time the song picked up around the three-minute mark, I could now feel not only my Mom, but my grandparents, cousin Doug, Great Uncle Bill, and all the other deceased people who had a positive impact on my life running with me giving me a push with Bear leading the pack, running in front of me happily, looking back every few seconds to make sure I was still coming.  The moment was euphoric and my pace quickened as I shed a few tears of joy out there alone on the trail.  As the song ended, the moment passed and “Same ol’ Situation” began playing jolting me back into rock and roll mode. 

These profound moments are part of reason why I love solo running.  I may be alone but I know that I am never truly running alone.  It’s only fitting that Bear died doing what he loved to do (running around like a maniac) and he will always run in front of me in spirit just like he did in life.  There is a line in “Without You” that goes “I could face a mountain, but I could never climb alone”.  These words ring true in so many ways.  I know, without a doubt, that I could never run the way I do without the spiritual presence of my loved ones.  They are always running with me; their presence is just subtler at certain times than others.  So, to all who run with me in sprit: I can’t thank you enough for your guidance and encouragement. Without you by my side I would never be able to make it.  I love you all.  And Bear, run free up there, buddy!  Where the trail never ends and no leashes are needed.      


No comments:

Post a Comment