Monday, July 10, 2017

Don't Forget To Laugh

Running long distances can create a plethora of feelings and emotions.  Everything from feelings of excitement, exhaustion, and pain, to anxiety, optimism, and accomplishment.  While running a marathon, runners often experience a whirlwind of emotions that leaves them feeling like they lived a whole year in just a few hours when they cross the finish line.  In addition to abundant training and conditioning, there is another action that is required by runners to be successful in long distance running; they need to laugh.  Anyone who has been a long distance runner for long enough knows that there is no shortage of funny moments in the sport.  A key element in running is experiencing the humor and creating fond memories with friends and family that can be shared and treasured for a lifetime. 

On the morning of July 4th, 2017 Janet, Brady, and I ran a fourth of July themed 10-K with some of Janet’s coworkers.  To our delight, we noticed that there were a lot of older people who looked to be in their seventies and eighties participating.  They weren’t all moving swiftly, but they were out there making it happen.  Seeing them also triggered funny memories of how we saw so many naked elderly men when we ran Bay to Breakers six weeks prior.  When the post race email from the Bay to Breakers organization was sent out to the participants advising them that the race photos were available, Janet and I were appalled, but then we were laughing like hyenas when we saw the action photos of her during the race.  There she was, dog leash in hand, and standing behind her to the left in plain view was a gentleman who looked to be in his mid-seventies in his birthday suit, full frontal, looking on as if nothing was amiss.  We couldn’t stop laughing.  If we had tried to share that photo on Facebook or other social media sites, it would have been flagged and removed immediately.  Later that day on July 4th, we congregated at Janet’s mother’s house.  We’re always thinking of clever ways to mess with Mom so we decided it would be hilarious to show her the outrageous photo of Janet from Bay to Breakers.  She immediately began laughing which made us laugh along.  We then proceeded to watch TV and looked back at Mom a few minutes later to find that she was still staring at the photo.  We just looked at her until she looked up at us and we began laughing hysterically.  Mom loved it.  We did too!

I too have had my fair share of botched race photos.  Sometimes I’m not ready for the camera and a picture will be taken of me with my eyes closed or my tongue out.  The funniest race photo I’ve ever had was when Janet, our friend Anthony, and I ran Revel Mount Charleston, a half marathon near Las Vegas.  We arrived the night before, had a delicious dinner, and woke up at 3:45 AM on race morning.  The course was primarily downhill and followed a mountain road from part of the way up Mount Charleston down into the city.  Janet, Anthony, and I split up throughout the race but during the last mile, I spotted Anthony in front of me and pulled up next to him.  He was hurting but he was still moving pretty good.  We shuffled along together towards the finish line and just as we crossed, a photographer was on the sidelines.  As we ran by, I smiled and threw my arms in the air.  I didn’t think anything of it until a few days later when the race photos were posted online, I saw myself with my arms in the air smiling, but Anthony was right next to me in the photo with a look on his face like he was about to cry from excruciating pain.  In a comical way, this photo did a perfect job of capturing all the emotions felt from opposite ends of the spectrum.  Late last year a few of my co-workers and I ran a Tough Mudder race in Temecula.  The Tough Mudder is not your average foot race.  The course is ten to twelve miles long and contains several army style obstacles.  Getting through these obstacles requires a team effort, and when the photos were posted, I noticed that as I was helping my friend Zach over an obstacle, my palm was right on his rear end.  “Looks like someone is trying to cop a feel” he said to me.  “What can I say?  You’re sexy” I joked.

I’ve also had moments where I’ve been “that guy” while running.  One summer morning, I was on my way down from Cucamonga peak on the Ice House Canyon trail when I spotted a group of hikers about a hundred yards in front of me down the trail.  In a flash of distraction, I tripped over a rock and came crashing down on the trail right in front of them in the midst of saying hello.  The damage was nothing more than a few scrapes and cuts and I got right back up and continued onward.  The hikers were speechless and looked at me as if they had just seen a space alien.  I ran by them grinning letting them know that I was okay, trying to lighten the tone.  Throughout the rest of the run, I laughed to myself at my clumsiness and made jokes to hikers who inquired about my bloody knee, saying things like “Tell the kids this is what happens when you’re not careful” and jokingly explaining that a hiker had tripped me because it angered him that I was going faster than him.   
Last July, I was finishing up my last leg of a relay trail race near Lake Tahoe.  Janet, myself, and three of our friends were a five-person team participating in an eight-person event known as Ragnar Tahoe.  I was finishing my thirty fifth mile of the race and although I was having a blast, the cumulative miles and high altitude were taking a toll on me.  With a quarter of a mile left to go, I ran past spectators cheering me on and someone cracked open a Coors Light, handing it to me as I ran by.  I ran for about fifty yards before taking a pull from the can when a guy who looked to be about eighteen said “Chug! Chug!” I knew he was poking fun but in my discomfort from the altitude sickness, I didn’t quite share this same attitude and I got a little annoyed.  “Dude, seriously?  I just ran thirty-five miles I can’t chug right now!”  The guy laughed and apologized.  “It’s okay man, I’m just not feeling my best right now” I sounded like a whiny teenager riddled with angst and regretted getting so worked up.  After crossing the finish line, I finished the beer and although I felt a little sick and light headed, I was overjoyed that I had just finished my last leg and that we as a team would soon be finished.  I laughed to myself about my grumpy response to the kid on the side of the trail and the ridiculousness of how I got annoyed over something so silly.   


Between the signs created by LA Marathon spectators that read “If Trump can run, so can you!” and being crammed into a two-person tent with two other guys on Mount Shasta, I’ve had plenty of laughable moments throughout my many adventures and I look forward to more.  Humor is a key factor in developing an attitude towards running.  If you want to have a good outlook on running, it is important to laugh at not only the funny moments but also at yourself sometimes.  Running can be, among many things, painful.  When we push our minds and bodies to their limit, it isn’t always fun and we need the comedic moments to help make it all worthwhile.  Just like any other hobby, it’s important to have fun while doing it.  Having fun and laughing creates a positive experience, an optimistic attitude, and keeps us coming back for more.  So, when you’re out there and hurting, feeling like you can’t go any further, try to laugh and smile.  It goes a long way and may be the key factor that gets you to the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment