Saturday, November 23, 2019

I Don't Want a Holiday in the Sun

2019 has been an amazing year with many firsts for me.  Between work and my life outside of work, there are far too many to list, but here are a few highlights; I finished my first 100-mile ultramarathon, I participated in my first organized cycling tour, I visited Lake Tahoe for the first time, and lost more toenails this year than any other year of my life.  But the year is not over.  If all goes as planned (because if there's anything I've learned in my thirty-three years on this planet, it's that anything can happen), I will have knocked off two more firsts by the time 2019 comes to a close; visiting London and traveling internationally on my own. 

I love traveling internationally.  I've only visited five countries, so I'm not stopping there of course.  As I made my way through what has been quite an eventful and busy year, I pondered the thought of taking an international trip.  The last time I did so was in summer of 2017 and it was time to make it happen again.  But where to?  And when?  Once I finished Tahoe Rim Trail 100, I spent basically the whole month of August paddle boarding on Vasona Lake, hiking Mission Peak, meeting new people, and of course running and working.  When September came, it hit me that 2019 was quickly coming to an end, and if I was going to follow through on my plans to travel internationally, it was crucial that I figure out where and when before time ran out.  By mid-September I had my answer.  I would travel solo and spend four days in London over the Thanksgiving break.

Why London you might ask?  Well, in short, London has been on my travel bucket list for quite some time.  It has been described as one of the most visited, most influential, and most beautiful cities in the world.  Like any major city, it has it's issues, but I've very rarely heard people speak negatively of London.  Some people travel to other countries specifically to visit the sites, take organized tours, and drift through museums.  In doing so, I feel they spend most of their time among other tourists and have minimal interaction with locals.  I like to dig deeper than that.  In my opinion, when traveling abroad, it is, of course, cool to visit places of interest, but my main objective is to come back to the States with a little more knowledge.  A better understanding of the culture, day to day life, and character of the place I visited.  Here are some of the characteristics about London that inspired my upcoming visit:

The Culture

I live in California, which is arguably the most culturally diverse state in the U.S.  My interest in other cultures stems from my experiences growing up in Michigan in close proximity to several diverse communities, mainly Jewish and Middle Eastern.  Moving to Chicago and California has allowed me to expand my knowledge of other cultures considerably, but traveling to five countries has taken it to a different level.  Although hundreds of different languages are heard in London every day, English is the the most recognized and most widely spoken language.  From the perspective of an American traveling alone to a different country, this factor certainly works in my favor, but even so, London has a rich culture that differs greatly from that of California.  More on this when I return since my knowledge of English culture is limited, but I can't wait to learn more.  

The Music

Some amazing music has come out of London over the years.  Between the raw energy of the Sex Pistols, the mind altering instrumentation and distinctive vocals of Amy Winehouse and David Bowie, the eclectic style of Oasis (they're actually from Manchester, but they've recorded and mixed a decent amount of their music in London), and many other musicians, there is no doubt that London has had a tremendous creative impact on countless people.  I feel like the Spice Girls should get an honorable mention since I secretly liked them as a kid, but refused to admit it.  I hope to see some live music in the pubs, but what I'm really hoping for is to see first hand what it is about London that produces such musical creativity.  

The Pubs

Yes, something as simple as pubs.  There are several here in Silicon Valley, but from what I understand, the pubs in London are a different scene.  They are frequented not just for the purpose of socializing and throwing down pints of beer, but for a variety of other activities, such as having meals, getting coffee, even holding business meetings.  Based on my pre-travel research so far, a majority of pubs in London serve up traditional English dishes including fish and chips, bangers and mash (sausage and mashed potatoes), Yorkshire pudding, and hearty English breakfasts.  According to my buddy Adam, "Scott and I hit thirty-three pubs in London in three and a half days.  You can beat that!".  We'll see about that, but I'll do my best.  Again, more on this when I return.  

The Architecture and Sites

I plan to visit places like Big Ben, the Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, etc.  As I mentioned above, it's cool to visit these sites, but it's not my primary reason for wanting to visit London.  However, the buildings there have a very beautiful and unique architectural design, so it's important that I take some time out of my trip to admire and appreciate these historical gems.   

I hope to have a lot more to write about once I arrive back in California, but until then, these are some pre-vacation thoughts.  The title of this post is not only the opening line of a rad song, but it is literally meant to allude to the weather outlook in London for next week:  Rain and chilly temperatures.  This will be a nice contrast to the sunny weather that I'm used to in California, but also not so nice for obvious reasons.  Rain or shine, I'll be out and about.  The title also alludes to the nature of this trip and what I hope to get out of it, more in a metaphorical way.  A few people asked me if I was traveling to London to do a run of some sort.  Given what most people know about me, it's a perfectly valid question, and the answer is yes and no.  Yes, I will likely run a few miles in the mornings before I start my day, but that will be it.  Unlike most of the trips I take, this one will not be centered around running.  More to come afterwards because I don't know exactly what is in store for me, and I can't wait to find out!    


  
  

  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment